Home | Posts RSS | Comments RSS | Login

I Did an Awful Thing

Thursday, November 12, 2009
Last night on my way to dinner with my mom, I hit a dog with my car.

I barely saw it as it crossed the white line, and slammed on my brakes just as I hit it. Right away I couldn't believe that it had just happened, and pulled over onto the side of the road and turned on my hazard lights.

I kind of sat there for a second, maybe in a little bit of shock. Then I realized that I had Kate in the back and #1 shouldn't be sitting on the side of the highway in the dark and #2 didn't feel comfortable turning the car around and driving back to the gas station (by where the dog ran into the road).

As I was sitting there I saw in my rear view mirror, someone walk out into the road, pick up the dog, and walk back. I couldn't really see much more since it was dark. At this point I wasn't sure if I should wait there, go back to talk to the person, or keep on going.

It changes everything that Kate was in the car with me, and that it was just the two of us alone. When you have your young child with you in this type of situation, their well being greatly supersedes any other thought process that you might be having, or trying to have.

So I called 911, not really knowing what to do in this situation, and while I was waiting for the cop to come I pulled onto a side road right next to where I currently was. I finally gathered up the courage to get out of the car and look at where the dog hit. I was so afraid that any blood or hair left on the vehicle would cause me to completely freak out, that it took me a while to calm down enough to look.

I couldn't really see anything, so I got back in the car to wait. When the cop showed up he took a look and shined his flashlight there so that I could see as well. I explained to him what had happened, and it sounded like he was going to go back to the gas station to ask around. He said that it is a good thing that he will be able to let the owner of the dog know what happened.

All night, and still today, I couldn't shake the feeling that I got when I realized what had happened. I feel so sorry for the family that the dog belonged to. As many of my family and friends know, I have two dogs and two cats of my own. This makes what happened even harder for me because I understand how much of a family member a pet can become.

So thankfully Kate was not hurt, even the car was not hurt, but my heart...definitely was hurt.

0 comments to I Did an Awful Thing:

Post a Comment